Bolognese bake recipe
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 45mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stick celery, trimmed and diced
- 250g mince
- 350g closed-cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato purée
- 350g pack fresh egg penne
- 100ml single cream
- 100g half-fat mozzarella, grated
- 100g (3½oz) reduced-fat Medium strength cheese, grated
- Crisp green salad, to serve
1. Warm the oil in a frying pan at a low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery; cook for 10 minutes. Increase the heat to high; add the mince, mushrooms and garlic and fry for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and purée; cook for 5 minutes more and season to taste.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Cook the pasta for 5 minutes. Drain, then return to the pan with the cream and half of each of the 2 cheeses, mix and season to taste.
3. Spoon half the pasta into a baking dish. Top with half the beef mix. Repeat with the remaining pasta and beef. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, before serving with a crisp green salad.